The Dancer, The Couple, The Team - Steve Jablonsky "Arrival To Earth" (Lea Depner)

Link to Sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_FHPJIhNBw

The Dancer, the Couple, the Team

I am standing on the dance floor, being aware of the presence of my dance partner standing next to me and the other seven dancing couples who complement our team. The silence in the room creates an inevitable tension inside me.
I can hear my own heartbeat in a steady rhythm, and I feel the others´ nervous heartbeats like an echo in my body.
When the trainer, who is sitting in front of the dance floor, gives the adjudicators a sign to start playing the music, energy flows through my body.
I am building up my body tension, the music is starting to power my movement, and I am hearing a low voice inside me whispering that I can make it.
I am beginning to dance looking at my dance partner.

There is always a short moment in the beginning of the performance when we find us as a dancing couple, when our single movements become shared ones.
The sooner we are finding our shared rhythm which leads us through the choreography, the better we are completing the dancing figures.
The music is prescribing the persistence, the consistency, and the flow which we have to find in our own movements; it´s always the same procedure which we are repeating in our heads.
We are feeling like the music of the choreography is leading us to its main part, the musical highlight;

we are feeling like the dancers are leading us to its main part, the musical highlight.
We are sharing the excitement, the tension, and the emotion which are transmitted to us as an audience through the dancers. 
The energy shifts from the dancers to the audience; 

the energy shifts from the audience to the team of dancers.
During a competition, we always feel the decisiveness of our team when we represent the result of one year of weekly dance class, endless training camps and disciplined implementation of trainers´ instructions.
We do not only rely on our single dance partners, but also on our whole team which we notice when we are having a squint to our left and right on the dance floor.

Nevertheless, I am focusing on myself again and again when the choreography allows me to take a short break, to minimalize my movements, and to collect my energy before the music mercilessly continues to require my attention.

Despite the driving force of the music and the team, we need to find concentration in the excitement  of the environment.
We are looking for our focus as a dance couple, trying not to lose it, feeling the vibrant energy in our bodies.
Since we are harmonizing as a dance couple, we notice each other´s physical presence as well as their emotional one. 
We are finding trust and willpower in each other´s eyes until the final sound of the music delivers us from the physical exertion; 

we are fearing dancers´ mistakes or injuries until the final sound of the music delivers us from the excitement and the tension.
Showing the team of dancers our support throughout the choreography, we are applauding and, with great anticipation, awaiting the results of the adjudicators. 
We are searching for eye contact with our friends or family members who have been dancing for the past six minutes. 
Although the results will only be announced after the presentation of the other teams, we are somehow sensing that the team has shown its best performance which creates a calm and cheery atmosphere in the audience.  
We are looking forward to celebrating the competition day with the dancers;

we are looking forward to celebrating the competition day with our spectators. 
Our brains are processing what has happened around us for the last six minutes when our bodies have been too suffused by energy to process the events. 
The euphoric spirit which we can already feel standing on the dance floor indirectly hints at a successful performance, but we can only say it for sure after the presentation of the last team. 
For a very short moment, our bodies are tensing before they´re calming down, realizing that the enormous excitement which we´ve experienced during the presentation of our choreography can decrease since we are leaving the dance floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment