The Woods - Isao Tomita "Pictures at an Exhibition: The Gnome" (Helen Gaa)

 



The Woods

Leaves crunching under my feet

What was that? An animal?

There it is again

What is making that noise?

Seems like it’s running from something... is it running from me?

It’s so dark already

I should have started walking sooner

A noise. There. It’s headed this way.

It’s headed in this direction-

Is someone there?

Are those footsteps? I can’t tell.

Something is coming closer now

But what is it?

There – some movement

No – over there

Who is it? Show yourself! This isn’t funny!

There! A figure! Who is it?

It’s moving so strangely

I’m feeling so-

Clammy hands, sweaty brow, queasy, dread.

I- I need to hide

There! Behind that bush! No- too loud... so much noise

Quickly behind this tree

And freeze, clench your jaw, hold your breath, don’t lock your knees

 

It’s following me, this figure

Its looming presence, oozing

All over these woods

Oh, what is it doing?

It’s moving so slowly … is it floating?

Oh no – there – behind this rock

My heart is racing

goosebumps – is it wailing?

What is this thing I’m facing?

It’s like it’s calling out to me

What does it want?

Panting, my head feels foggy

It saw me

Keep moving

No escaping

 

Closer now, closer, almost upon me

It’s here, this figure, this creature

Breath-taking

It’s getting louder and louder

Spindly hands reaching forward

Crawl, crawl, crawl, twigs crawl, pricking crawling, stones crawl

Whirring

Is it – is it glowing?

Can’t hear myself think

My eyes- I can’t see; my ears are ringing

Are they bleeding?

 

Running. Running. Running. Away.


No comments:

Post a Comment